This Office for Learning and Teaching national forum will showcase examples from the thought leaders in the field in prior learning, credentialing, open badges practice and research, and offer an employer’s perspective. The forum is a national event at Deakin University Burwood campus with sites for colleagues in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. We are utilising Cisco’s WebEx as our streaming platform for our national host sites through our partnership with Cisco as a project partner.
Curate, Credential and Carry Forward Digital Learning Evidence: National Forum, November 13, 2014
Mozilla’s Open Badges project has opened up a new way of recognising skills and learning through an open, stackable framework and provided an opportunity to recognise more detailed aspects of learning. For example, whereas achievement of learning may be somewhat invisible in collated marks and grades, open badges enable the warranting of capabilities including those that are difficult to measure (such as team work and intercultural competence). Badging skills, experiences and knowledge can supplement or even replace traditional assessment signals such as marks and grades. Open badges can also enable a more social approach to assessment: badges can be issued or endorsed by designated stakeholders – peers, mentors, industry, associations – both within and outside of an institution and build the learner’s ability to judge their own and others’ performance.
- Dan Hickey, Indiana University; Director of the Open Badges Design Principles Documentation Project
- Nan Travers, SUNY, Director of the Office of Collegewide Academic Review
- David Gibson, Curtin University
- Allyn Radford, CEO, DeakinDigital
- Michael Evans, Neukom Fellow, Dartmouth College
- Joanna Normoyle, Experiential and Digital Media Learning Coordinator; UC Davis
- Janet Strivens, Centre for Lifelong Learning Educational Development Division, The University of Liverpool, Senior Associate Director, The CRA
- Susi Steigler-Peters, Education Industry Executive, Telstra
Deakin’s strategic commissioned project site can be found at:http://boliver.ning.com
Please feel free to pass this email on to any interested colleagues.
Kathryn Coleman, Lecturer (Cloud Learning)
Project Manager, OLT Project
Curate, credential and carry forward digital learning evidence
Deakin University Melbourne City Centre Campus , Level 4, 550 Bourke St, Melbourne
Phone: +61 3 92468265
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B